Tuesday, May 17, 2011

►Oleg Dou - Staggeringly unique vision

►Oleg Dou born in Moscow on the 19th of August in 1983.
With staggeringly unique vision, Oleg Dou's work develops and pushes to the limit the idea of a body, evoked by the surrealists, as an object of subversions, distortions and other mutations that undermine its integrity.
His photography has been celebrated in Paris and Moscow exhibitions, as well as such French and Russian publications as Le Monde2, PHOTO magazine and Fotomasterskaya magazine.


Often strange and disturbing, Dou's artistic search pushes to extreme limits, his subjects destroyed and massacred before the lens seemingly without pity...but take a look at their eyes and see if your interpretation is shaken.



Artist's Statement:
"I was born in the artistic family and faced the art when I was a little child. My mother was a painter, and I grew up spending a lot of time among artists — although I was not particularly interested in their activities.
I felt an urge toward the arts and creation some time ago when I was working as a designer, and I began seriously studying design. That's how I 'bumped into' photography.
I worked hard to create my own style and technique. The main tool is computer photo-manipulation and a mix of several photos. I’ve already created several art projects and showed them in a few countries, including France, Belgium and the USA. Creation brings me enormous pleasure. I am stubborn, ambitious and optimistic by nature; I like being different — and my work, I hope, reflects these features of my character.


Once I was looking at the book with Proto-renaissance artists which became my favorite for many years. I found a lot of awesome portraits with strange weird emotions in that book. Some people was ill, some angry, some crazy and some had empty indifferent eyes. It was not used to show the people that 'perversion' way nowadays and that was real discovery for me.
Since that time I had a passion for a human face and tried to find that kind of pictures everywhere. I spent a lot of time looking at the family photo albums or newspapers or magazines. I tried to find something that I liked and something that disturbed me at the same time.
Later I recognized my willing to create something myself. And the photography was my choice.
My favorite thing is to show something in other not stereotypical way. It can be scary nuns, people pretending to cry or unhappy children - everything that is not expected to see.


I use artificial nature of a digital photography as a tool to reach the point between opposites such as alive and dead, attractive and disturbing, beautiful and ugly. Thus I'm searching to transcribe the feeling of presence that you get while passing the plastic mannequin.
Meanwhile I believe that the surface of the photography is very important. And I try to do photos in a beautiful way, inspired with a classical paintings. Not for the beauty itself, but to create more powerfull images."


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...